Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Where Did 2009 Go?!

First I must say... 2009 sailed by WAY too fast. Time slips by silently and before you know it, you turn around and your children have grown up even more than you could have expected!

September brought us another big change, Emileigh started Preschool! She loves it, of course, as I knew she would. She was almost giddy as we got ready for the day and made it to the school. She had NO problem leaving me behind and went right in and started playing with some of the toys and activities they had set up. She waved goodbye to me, again with no problem, and practically sent me out the door so she could start her day. She is so independent!

Koen had his school photo taken in September. Does he look 5? Not to me. He looks like he's 7 or 8. What happened to my little Koen?

And, he continued to play soccer. And loved it.

We also went camping in September with Rolf's side of the family at a nearby campground. We had a great time. The kids loved playing with their cousins, going for hikes, getting dirty, roasting hot dogs, making smore's and they even went on a "bear hunt" with their uncle Mark. As you can see from these pictures, the kids were having a blast!

October brought the official start of the Holiday season for me. I love it! Emileigh had a Halloween party at her preschool where she entered the Cake Walk with her own creation...she decorated her "Pumpkin Patch" cake all by herself. She was so proud!

Halloween, itself, was fun! Mr. Incredible and the Halloween Fairy made their appearance to several parties and carnivals. Koen loved to show off his big muscles! Emileigh even won a costume contest this year and took home the prize of 2 tickets to Disneyland! I had so much fun making her costume and I think she looked adorable.



November for us, was nice and quiet. For once. It brought Thanksgiving, which we spent with Rolf's family, and the end to soccer season. It was nice to relax and enjoy the time.


December brought us the Christmas season. It was fantastic! We LOVE Christmas time. The day after Thanksgiving, we pull out our Christmas decorations and douse our home with the Christmas spirit.

We used the Disneyland tickets that Emi won and started the month of December by going to Disneyland. I can't say this adequately, but we had THE BEST time EVER! We spent the entire day there. The kids were great, they enjoyed and loved every ride, we were all in good spirits and it just made for the best day. We can't wait to go again this year!

Right before Christmas, the kids and I drove up to Utah to visit with family for just a few days. It was really cold and it had just snowed the day before we arrived. There was still a patch of snow left in my parent's backyard for the kids to play in.
We were able to visit not only with my parents, but also with my two sisters who live there and their families. It was really nice to spend time with all of them. The second day we were there, it started to snow while we were at my sister's house. This was the first time the kids saw snow falling.
Here's Koen, walking in a winter wonderland!
Once the snow stopped, the sun came out and all the kids ran outside to play in the new fallen snow. Here's Emileigh who worked for a solid five minutes on rolling this giant snowball. She told me she was going to throw it at Koen, she aimed (right when I snapped the picture) and then the snowball fell backwards out of her hand, hitting the ground with a thud and breaking the snowball. She then stated, "Oh Man! Tarter Sauce!" Which is one of her favorite sayings at the moment.
The morning we left, we awoke to find it had snowed throughout the night and this was the scene outside...a complete blanket of snow. And one of the car's door frozen shut. It took a bit of time to get it unstuck but it was an adventure.
We said goodbye to my parents and got back on the road, hoping to get home before Christmas traffic hit. Good thing we left on the 23rd and not the 24th!
Which brings us to Christmas. My favorite holiday! Santa sure brought a ton of presents to Koen and Emileigh, they must have been VERY good this year!
We video taped our Christmas morning of the kids opening up their presents and then I realized I hadn't been taking pictures! Ugh! Good thing Santa left a note on our Christmas tree that stated there were a few "big" gifts that he couldn't get into our house, so he left them in our patio room. I remembered the camera at that point, so here's a few of the kids looking at the last of their presents.
2009 really was a great year! We were busy, but in a good way. We love each other and have fun together, who could ask for anything more? We're looking forward to another amazing year filled with moments that we treasure for a lifetime. Cheers to 2010!

2 comments:

Amber said...

I love it! The kids are getting so big. I really love the picture of Koen posing for soccer with his tongue out and the Michael Jackson/jazz hand ;)

Kar said...

Oh so much to say!! First of all, I was going to say something about Koen's jazz hands in his soccer picture, too, but Amber beat me to it. So funny. I love that Emileigh says, "Tartar Sauce!" Hilarious. I like her capris in her start-of-preschool pictures. And I think it's funny that kids always make funny faces in their school pictures. I stopped buying them, because Dylan always looks ridiculous.