Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween Cooking

I've tried hard to make this past week special for the kids in getting them ready for Halloween. We've done some crafts and coloring and lots of baking and cooking. I made mummy dogs (little weenies wrapped with Pillsbury crescent dough strips, then baked) and had the kids help me. They loved wrapping the mini dogs and then eating them when they were done. I plan to make more in the next couple of days so I'll make sure to take a picture of them and post it. We also made "monster cookies". I made sugar cookies and had the kids help cut out the dough, then when they were baked we decorated them to look like monsters. Here are our creations:



My Mom sent me the following recipe to make Eyeball Cookies. They were easy to make and party favorites! I made about 50 of them and spread the wealth over three separate parties. Next year, I plan to make these again and then serve them in a glass jar to make it even creepier!


We also carved pumpkins the other night. Koen wanted a scary pumpkin, while Emi requested a princess...we opted for a happy face for her. They loved the pumpkin mess, well, Emi at first did not like sticking her hand in the pumpkin to remove the seeds, she started freaking out that she was getting messy, but soon loved it. They both wanted their pumpkins in their rooms that night at bedtime, they liked them so much. I bought battery powered strobe lights to stick inside this year instead of candles; they are much safer and the pumpkins should last a bit longer this way too. I even cleaned some the pumpkin seeds and roasted them. Yeah, you can call me Martha Stewart. Just kidding.

3 comments:

Kristina and Robert said...

Those are awesome cookies! You are such a good mom. :)

DRS and DDS said...

What happy memories you are making with those babies! The eyeball cookies look perfect. In a jar next year? Oh yeah, they'll be quite a sight!

Kar said...

Um, wow. I am soooooo impressed by your awesome momness. I wish i wasn't so preoccupied with my crazy life and my high-maintenance baby - I could have made Halloween a lot more fun this year. I love those eyeball cookies! So cool!!! You'll have to definitely post the recipe on your blog.