As I've mentioned before, we spent most of Tuesday at the Polynesian Cultural Center. It really is a must see! The Center was established by the Church in 1963 and about 600 students of BYU-Hawai'i are currently working their way through school as guides, musicians, dancers, demonstrators, and service personnel there. They have "villages" you can visit to learn more about each culture: Aotearoa (New Zealand), Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Tahiti, and Hawai'i. I learned a Hawai'ian Hula dance, tasted Poi in Aotearoa, learned how to twirl a fire stick in Samoa and got a "tattoo" in Fiji, among other things. We took a canoe ride through the villages and learned about each island. We also got to watch "The Pageant of the Long Canoes" where dancers perform on top of canoes.
We were then treated to a traditional Luau where we were first greeted with a flower lei. They had performers, singers and dancers, during the luau. The main performer and MC during the luau (Cousin Benny) reminded me a lot of my dad. Not in looks, but in mannerisms, expressions, and singing talent. I got a picture taken with him and told him he had to be my dad's brother from another mother. He loved it and told me to tell his brother hello from him. ;o) Anyway, the food was fabulous and of course it was buffet-style, so I had to roll myself out of there! :o)
Me and Cousin Benny...or should I say Uncle Benny?!
Me and Nela at the Luau
After dinner, we watched "Horizons" their performance show. It was great! A group of over 100 performers displayed authentic dances from all of the islands. There were fire dancers and they even incorporated water explosions and effects during the show. Fantastic!




2 comments:
Great shots! Hope someday we get to meet "Uncle/Cousin Benny." Perhaps Dad and Benny had the same instructors in the pre-existence .
Love you!
Soooo cool!!
Post a Comment